Outages and downtime for IT and telecommunications networks carry huge costs for companies, impacting productivity and customer service. Keeping IT and telecommunications networks up and running allow companies to stay focused on providing the best products and services to their customers. Telecom network management solutions consultants can help their clients by ensuring they have the necessary hardware and software they need for an efficient network that rarely, if ever, goes down.
Companies are increasingly reliant on their IT and telecommunications networks to do business. An optimized, reliable network allows workers to efficiently complete their tasks and also facilitates fast communication among customers, customer service reps and other members of the company. When networks aren’t working, important communications are delayed and disrupted and many important tasks can’t be completed.
According to InformationWeek, companies lose about $26.5 billion per year as a result of IT downtime. Research cited by the publication shows that of 200 companies surveyed, small companies lost about $55,000 per year on average because of IT downtime, mid-size companies lost about $91,000 and large companies lost more than $1 million.
The survey revealed that network outages were frequent occurrence among many companies. On average, companies responding to the survey said they experienced about 14 hours of IT downtime per year. These outages can be quite damaging to a company, delaying work, hurting staff morale and shaking customer confidence in the company.
What Your Network Needs Right Now
Networks operate by connecting computers and devices and also by allowing networks to connect to other networks. Routers and switches are critical components for networks. Switches help to connect devices within a network, facilitating communication among the devices. Routers control how various devices communicate with each other and how the communicate with the Internet. Routers help analyze and direct traffic and can also serve to prevent malware and other dangerous software from impacting networks. Both routers and switches, as well as other network hardware and software are essential to meeting modern business requirements.
Modern businesses have a variety of IT and telecommunications needs. Video is increasingly becoming a must for companies to facilitate better documentation and review as well as distance communication. Companies also need the ability to accommodate a variety of smartphones and other mobile devices, as these devices become more widespread in business use. Security is a huge concern, as hacking is becoming more “democratized.” Malicious actors with low levels of technical skills are gaining increased ability to attack networks thanks to pre-fabricated hacking tools they can find online. This means more and more attacks are being launched against government and private networks.
Telecom network management solutions consultants can help clients find the right equipment to keep networks running smoothly and safely. To meet modern network needs, there are a few items that companies large and small need from their IT networks, including:
- Reliable wireless Internet access. More and more businesses are turning to using smartphones, tablets and other small Internet devices. Modern companies need to be able to provide Internet access for these devices. Company networks need to provide Wireless-N network access, along with support that ensures the quality of latency-sensitive traffic.
Companies that need to add more access points will have an easier time if they cluster. Also, several wireless routers now make security features such as VLANs, firewalls, etc. part of their function.
- The ability to communicate via video or teleconferencing is increasingly important to businesses, as use of these technologies can help cut costs related to travel for meetings. Collaborative communication technology requires IT networks to have high-performance connections that are easy to access. It also requires that companies have easy to use devices such as IP phones.
- Fast connections that are easy to access are absolutely essential. Companies need fast and efficient traffic flow, particularly those using cloud programs, IP voice or video or smartphones and tablets. Wireless-N and Gigabet Ethernet is a must, as are routers and switches that enhance traffic flow.
- Power over Ethernet is an important feature networks need to make it easier to find wireless access points and wired devices. Power over Ethernet does exactly what it’s name suggests – allowing Ethernet cables to provide power as well as connection to other devices. Power over Ethernet also boosts power per port to allow devices to support Wireless-N and similar technologies.
- Boosted security. Malicious actors keep devising new ways to hack into or manipulate networks. Network security must grow and adapt to meet the challenge. To ensure security, company networks will need content security, VLANs, VPN and firewall systems. Integrated security solutions can help companies centralize control of their networks, boost device performance and reduce downtime caused by hacking-related outages.
Support & Contingency Planning
Equipment and software aren’t the only things companies need to ensure that their IT networks stay up and running. They also need quick and efficient support they can contact when problems arise with their networks. When choosing a provider for network solutions, companies should enquire about support services prospective providers have to offer.
Also, companies need contingency plans for network outages. By having a contingency plan in place, companies can shift computing resources to keep essential operations up and running if their network experiences an outage because of hacking or other circumstances. Very few companies currently have contingency or disaster recovery plans, a dangerous oversight.
To plan and build networks, companies need a firm with experience in creating networks that are modern and can grow over time. Fortune Consulting provides telecommunications and IT consulting for clients, helping them to lower telecom and wireless expense and optimize network performance with upgrades and other services. The company can plan, design and implement networks and can also help upgrade telecom networks to reduce expenses.
Fortune Consulting can help companies ensure their IT and phone networks are up and running when they need them. They can also help companies build and upgrade networks which have growth potential for future needs. To stop losing productivity and customers, companies who have experienced IT downtime or a phone network problem should contact Fortune Consulting and request a telecom audit.